Saturday, August 8, 2009

Water, water everywhere

I am envious of my friend Amanda who we call the camel, because she drinks more water than anyone I know. This has been one of my biggest challenges, especially in the dry unrelenting heat of South Texas. I drink water in the morning and all day at work but it doesn't seem to be enough. So I try to make up for it by drinking twice as much in the evening which I thought was smart until I have to get up 3 times at night to go to the bathroom. Amanda said that her doctor told her to imagine that your baby is like a goldfish in a bowl. The more water you circulate through there, the cleaner it becomes. So all the while I'm thinking that my poor little munchkin is like that goldfish in the murky water because her momma couldn't get enough fluid in her to clean the tank out.

I'm feeling really great now. About a week and a half ago , I had some mild discomfort along with a couple of other symptoms that are a little to private to mention here. So I called the doctor, and they said "Drink more water" and take it easy. Great..thanks. That's brilliant , I wish I would of thought of that. But sadly they were right. I just needed to drink more water and I did, and everything is back to normal.

John is hanging in there okay despit the fact that I evidently have become "more opinionated" since being pregnant to which I remind him that "I have an opinion too". I guess on occassion I've been a little snippy as well. But he is being a super trooper and is very engaged with how I am feeling and how the baby is doing.

I go in this week for my oral glucose challenge test which is a prescreen for gestational diabetes. My friend Megan gave me a couple of tips to help sway the test in my direction (Don't worry - just so i don't go over a few points and then have to endure the 3 hr test, not to screw the system). Lets just hope my new mini Snickers habit didn't predispose me to have to do carb counts now for the rest of my pregnancy. Keep your fingers crossed!

2 comments:

  1. Kristi,
    You are really carrying the baby well. You look
    great. Hope you have not developed gestational diabetes. But keep drinking that water, that is the best thing for us all, baby or not. The nursery painting is beautiful. I like the two tones, soft and comforting. Thanks for reminding me of your blog, I really enjoy your writing.
    We love you
    Lynn & Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. For GD, drink lots and walk lots. For the constipation, MOM. Unless of course that was not what you were referring to.

    ReplyDelete