Saturday, August 15, 2009

Orange Drink, Prunes, and Daycare

August 15, 2009

I went in on Thursday for my glucose challenge test. I followed Megan's advice and only ate protein and no carbs before I went in. I actually ran into a coworker in the elevator at the hospital who is about 2 weeks ahead of me and she was going in for the same test. She said she had pizza for breakfast so I was sure I was going to be much better off. I had to drink about 75 cc of a cold orange drink which really was more like Diet Sunkist without the carbonation. I had heard of so many people talking about how gross it was but it wasn't bad at all too me. I guess I will know in a week or two if I passed the 1 hour test or if I have to move onto the 3 hour test. Who knows though...my Obstetrician is less than communicative and she never tells me anything unless I ask about it. Don't get me wrong. She seems competent but is the world's worst communicator and of course, i'm the world's best patient :) so therein lies the issue.

I had a prune, actually two prunes for the first time in my life today. If you think long (or maybe not) you will quickly come to the conclusion of why this fruit has entered my diet. Carbs and cheese continue to be my mainstay though which is just fine with me. I have put on a little weight though (okay like 30 pounds) but I keep envisioning it will all fall off after the first of the year when I go back to a normal diet and am doing P90-X fitness DVDs with the little bambino strapped to my back.

I spent some time on Friday looking at daycares in the area and then sending reports back to John who is offshore. Most of them are the same. Pretty clean, organized, good security, and expensive. But that is what you get for living in surburbia. One place I toured was bragging about how their curriculum starts, even at 6 weeks. Seriously people, what kind of curriculum does my kid need at 6 weeks?? We probably won't put her into daycare until about 10 weeks so maybe by then instead of tummy time, she will move straight into lessons on cold fusion or thermodynamics. Most of the daycares that I called were between $800 and $900 a month. But yesterday, i did find a place that was $270 a week (they tell you in price per week so it doesn't sound so bad) which means $1080 a month. So for that price, I'm not only expecting physics lessons, but also that my kid will be able to speak a second language by her 1st birthday. Gaelic anyone??

4 comments:

  1. Let me know if you find the daycare that teaches Gaelic. I am curious to see the curriculum for the 6 wk olds. Elizabeth is WAY behind!
    BTW, the baby's room looks supercute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, totally unrelated to your blog, but why did you register for a crockpot? Is that required for the curriculum? Maybe by 12 weeks she will be able to make a 5-ingredient crock-pot dinner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristi--did they poke your finger or draw lab? My doctors office gets the results same day--they run their own labs though so they know to schedule you for the the 3 hour or not.

    As far as prunes. I would recommend the berry go mega bars by odwalla. They taste kind of gross, but they have a huge amount of flax seed in them. The results are quite impressive. That's all I'm saying.

    Did you cry looking at daycares? Cause I did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you do't have to deal with GD. We did make spaghetti sqaush for the first time and I liked, it but Rod wanted pasta. Can't wait to teach your baby Vietnamese.

    ReplyDelete